Thursday, June 20, 2013

How is the scholarly information you found in the library different from the typical information you find when you Google a leadership concept?




Google's algorithms are pretty neat to a layman like myself and I freely admit to only having a basic grasp of how they work. I do know that when I type in "Leadership" in Google I am presented with a list of links with that keyword. The links are chosen by popularity of hits that other users have found when using Google. It is a self-learning program that crowd-sources information. What this means is that there is no guarantee that the links you are presented will be scholarly, scientific, credible news sources, or some dude's blog.






Above is a screen grab of my recent search for leadership in Google. As you can see Psychology Today was as close as Google came to a scholarly article.



The Hunt Library is designed specifically as an academic resource. That being said, it stands to reason that there will be a greater number of scholarly articles in a hit.




As you can see, three down is a usable reference for an online student like myself. All in all the Hunt Library is a superior student resource as opposed to Google. Which I am gathering was the point of this exercise. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment