Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A633.9.3.RB - Polyarchy Reflections


"Most leadership models have the assumption of oligarchy – leadership is done by a few leaders over many followers. If polyarchy is fast replacing the old oligarchy assumptions does this make these old leadership models redundant? Reflecting on traditional leadership from the perspective of complex adaptive leadership, address the implications and how they will affect you as a leader in the future. What impact will they have on your future strategy?"

I am realist. I understand that polyarchic principles are most-likely some of the best forms of leadership out there. However, most organizations are not equipped to fully implement such leadership styles. Of course this is personal opinion but I think in addition to not being equipped, many organizations understand they need to change but are unable to implement such changes. Once again, this is all strictly opinion. I do think that as newer leaders mature this will start to change with a few caveats. Not all organizations require management degrees to move into management positions. Do you really think polyarchy is being taught in finance degrees? Or in criminal justice degrees? I will wager they aren't. So when bankers are being hired for finance degrees and promoted with such, they are not trained in polyarchy. This isn't to say that they are bad managers but they are trained to lead in whatever culture in which they exist. Even in organizations that are attempting to replace oligarchic structures, depending on the size of the organization, there are hosts of managers that are comfortable siloed in there little fiefdoms. If tomorrow Coca-Cola decided to go strictly polyarchic in style it would still take years to train new stables of managers. Do I think that oligarchy is redundant? No...oddly enough it will take oligarchic directives to establish polyarchic principles.

For me this means that I must be aware of the culture in which I am working. Only so much can be expected, the world will not change overnight. I can, however, begin to quietly lead by example. I've touched on this in a few class exercises but by controlling the things within my circle of influence I can begin to initiate small changes. If my programs get results than others may start to take notice. If I am noticed in a positive light, I will be given more and more programs. With that greater circle I can create greater change. Of course, some organizations embrace polyarchy more than others. It comes down to awareness of corporate culture and having support of other leadership. In an honest reflection I will admit to not wanting to shoot my career in the foot just because I think polyarchic leadership is a great model; and I do. I want to see this form of leadership percolate throughout my organization but it won't happen just because I want it. I have to demonstrate where I can and move up!

Therein lies the trap, you can't change the beast from outside you must be within. In order to change the beast from the inside, you must first look like something the beast wants to eat. As you increase in power and influence it becomes important to cultivate friendships and that may mean that office politics takes a role. To avoid this, I will have to be aware of my emotional intelligence and biases. Power and influence can be used to affect change for the better but it requires a great deal of self-awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment