Saturday, January 28, 2017

Change via Tribes

In this week we explore a concept of driving change via tribes as outlined by Seth Godlin in his Ted talk.  In short, groups of people begin to coalesce and then those groups begin to push forward a movement that encapsulates their views. I am not so sure that this is exactly groundbreaking research but he does raise an interesting point. Leaders of movements tend to crowd-source their work. There is nothing particularly wrong with that as to get most anything of note accomplished in terms of major change one has to have others buying into the concept of change. The questions posed this week are below and rather than answer them is list form I'll attempt to address them in a larger narrative of tribes, change, and barriers.

The questions are:

1. How do you react when you hear colleagues using some of the excuses listed in the 50 Reasons Not to Change graphic?
2. Do you ever use any of these excuses yourself?
3.How can you overcome the thinking that creates those responses to change efforts?
4. Do you agree with Seth Godin’s concept that change is driven by tribes?
What can you take away from this exercise to immediately use in your career?

The 50 Reasons to Change graphic can be found here and short of listing all 50 I took a few from the graphic that seem to infect my organization. For the most part, my organization is mired between the past and future and seems to pay little attention to the present. By this, the current state of the world seems to have no affect on how my organization operates. This is, of course, perception and in an organization of over 200,000 employees I am not a major player so I admit I may be missing something. That being said, I am directly involved in program management and our program is not operating with an eye to the future. 

We are, on paper, to provide re-integration opportunity for patients with addiction, mental health issues, and/or homelessness. This population typically lacks skills that many take for granted. There is a lack of computer skills, budgeting skills, behavioral problems such as an inability to give or receive feedback, and even basic hygiene (at times). Our program, to my constant annoyance, does not mandate that participants attend classes or groups designed to address those concerns. Instead we focus on finding housing and employment however how can one find employment in a digital world without computer skills? What good is the job (if you find it) if you lack insight into communication skills needed to work with others? I could go on. In the past, and I hear it constantly, "we've done it this way," this worked to a certain degree. In 1987 you didn't need to know how to use web-tools to gain an education. You didn't need to know how to use complex software to do a great many jobs. And most of out patients stopped in 1987 and stayed there. One of the things I teach the patients on my immediate case load is that you have to force yourself to stay relevant. 

When changes were tried the patients complained and management backed off which leads to the "been tried before" excuse. Well yes, change isn't always comfortable. And now we've moved into a paralysis by analysis mode where we use the excuse of "talking about changes" as a way to avoid actually making those changes. 

One can tell by my tone that it is exceptionally frustrating to know changes are needed yet to run up against significant barriers. In some ways, my role was created to help drive those changes but it seems as though it was thought that simply creating a role was change, never-mind providing the support that role needs to accomplish one of its fundamental purposes. 

Godin's idea of tribes is interesting but he leaves out the tendency of tribes to fight one another. My organization knows it needs a change, but they are still groping in the dark on how to do that. There is a large body of "old guard" that makes up a tribe that actively fights any change no matter how useful or small. Overcoming that level of entrenchment is not an easy task. I have made small changes that were easily digested (my immediate supervisor is supportive) and am now seeing how those changes play out. It looks as though I may have to make a change to my change but by doing so I am building a certain level of change tolerance among the organization. Small changes...observe...small change...observe. Rinse, Repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment