Saturday, November 30, 2013

A521.6.3.RB - High Performance Teams


This week we are discussing collaboration and high performance teams. High performance teams have  a few elements that differentiate them from regular teams. As taken from Stephen Denning's The Leader's Guide to Storytelling these teams have the following: actively shape the expectations of those who use their output, rapidly adjust their performance to the changing needs of the situation, they become stronger with time as members learn to anticipate, mutual concern means individuals grow, interpersonal commitments fuel performance, and shared passion (Denning, 2011). In essence these teams produce a synergy, that great buzzword. However, synergy is a real thing that can exist and when it occurs, teams truly do perform. 

I was recently part of a high-performance team, although we didn't call it such. It wasn't a large team, but it shared common goals, passions, and most importantly, the members truly cared what happened to one another. That caring is what allowed the team to function through some turbulent waters. It was exhilarating to say the least. Recently, after a year, that team has appeared to end and I must say it was gut wrenching. There is, for me, a profound sense of loss. It isn't often that I connect emotionally and such things are frightening. No one likes to be vulnerable. It's when we are vulnerable that bad things happen to us. However, that openness with one another is what allows the team to succeed in the first place. 

In this team I used the assertive style of communication outlined in Messages: The Communications Skills Book by Matthew McKay, Martha Davis, and Patrick Fanning, though I didn't have a name for it. (McKay et al, 2009)I asserted my needs and how I felt about a given  topic and respected the thoughts and feelings that were offered as input. It was difficult at first but through relating some of my own life experiences I was able to build a connection that strengthened over time.  Assertive and open communication gets easier with practice. 

At the end the outcomes were out of my hands though at times they far exceeded anything I thought I was capable of. I did the best job I knew how to do and I'd join the team again in a flash if offered the opportunity. Having been on both regular teams and a high performance team I know which one I prefer. As someone that now knows how rare they are I am saddened to see it go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment