Sunday, January 26, 2014

A520.2.6 Time Management

This week time management is a topic for discussion. Time management skills are important in just about every facet of life. Although the primary aim of my class and this blog is to approach time management from the leadership perspective, time management can be applied most anywhere.


1. Assess your time management skills.


It really depends on my mood. I have one technique for time management for work and one for home. My work time management skills are pretty good. At home, not so so much. I tend to procrastinate unpleasant tasks, occasionally this has caused me some problems. I meet my financial obligations because I enjoy a high credit score and don't want to lose it, but chores may get put off. I live by myself so that isn't a huge concern! However, I'm aware that it may not work in situations where I may no longer be alone. I'm adaptable.

All in all I am pretty solid with time management. I control what I can and I don't lose much sleep over things I can't control.


2. Evaluate how these skills have increased your locus of control


I would say that a proper usage of time management has decreased my locus of control. This may sound counter-intuitive but hang on. I minimize my tasks into the most efficient ways of doing them. I build in extra time for surprises and then I roll with the punches. There are things I cannot control that affect my workload. In these situations I find that having positive professional relationships with partner agencies and co-workers will allow me access to better information and decrease negative trends in my workload. It's almost like delegation via mutual respect. Most places call it office politics, and that may be the case, but every tool has a use and politics are no different.


This minimization of tasks into efficient blocks allows my quality of work to improve. What used to be major time sinks, have become more manageable tasks. Time management, to me, isn't about finding ways to do more things, although that is inevitable as you increase responsibilities or gain promotion. Time management is about minimizing the stress that comes from tasks. My locus of control may expand to include more tasks, but if I am managing my time effectively it will appear, and feel, as if I am not exerting control.


3. Identify three new areas in which improved time management skills would reduce stress.


I am going to need to improve my time management skills with household chores. I have a stack of paperwork creating a fire hazard that needs my attention in my upstairs office. I did have a bit of stress being caused by financial obligations but I've learned to set aside time to pay bills and check accounts. Lastly, I have an unpleasant work project that requires constant attention. It's a time sink when done correctly and it has very limited utility but it is high-profile so I need to find a way to better manage that task.


4. Add an action plan to integrate these to your daily routine.


For me it comes down to just setting aside the time and getting over my tendency to procrastinate. With the household chores I may ask a friend to hold me accountable until I get it done. After that it will be more maintenance tasks rather than playing catch-up. With that unpleasant work task I will have to dedicate a chunk of time and just do it. Which is pretty much what I do every month with it. I am playing around with different database designs and I'm hoping to find a more efficient way to organize the information.


My advice for anyone regarding time management is to find a means that works for YOU in YOUR life. We all have unique needs and situations and while many tools online or in texts are tried and true methods don't be afraid to experiment and adapt. If it's your process rather than one taken from a book you will be more inclined to stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment