Sunday, February 2, 2014

A520.3.1.RB - Decision Making


1. What are a few words that describe your decision-making style and their opposites?
Just going to jump right in this week. Instinctive (intuitive), rational, and comfortable with ambiguity.



I tend to make choices based on my gut feelings towards many things. Here lately I have been doing the opposite and carefully planning my new moves. I am moving into uncharted territory with my career and personal life and I don't have a read-made background of experience in these areas backing me up. I still trust those instincts but I'm mixing in some planning as well.

I like to work with what is rational. I find that allowing to much emotion into leadership activities can lead to poor choices. That being said, in relationships I am working on allowing more emotional elements to take over my decision making. It's interesting.

Comfortable with ambiguity is three words but it defines a leadership style that I am able to use. Rarely do we have all the information we need. Maybe because for so long I've learned to trust where my instincts take me, I'm okay working in a bit of a fog. I will still actively seek information where available. The opposite would be having this ambiguity cause distress.


2. Could you see any benefits to making decision using an approach that is based on either the opposites or somewhere in-between and what outcomes would you expect to see?


I think the new areas of my career and personal life that I am experiencing are forcing me to rely less on my instincts and more on planning. I expect that this will allow me to weigh various pros and cons and move forward. However, too much analyzing will start to stress me out. At some point I will just jump in and go. I've done that with my personal life but my career is where I am really doing some careful planning. I'm gathering information and trying to get a good idea of what my risk/rewards might be. This is mixing my emotional and rational decision making styles in new ways that I am still trying to sort out. It's odd for me to not be able to lump choices into neat little boxes but I feel like my ability to work with ambiguity is what is keeping me from going nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment