Sunday, April 16, 2017

Tipping Points and Attractors

Tipping points in relation to emotional intelligence or knowing one's self can also be looked at as a type of epiphany. They can also be seen, when viewed quantitatively,  as a point where behavior either increases or decreases in a sharp manner. I've been studying leadership for several years, I've been a leader and a follower and I've begun to lean more towards qualitative rather than quantitative studies. That being said, data gathered is often critical to crystallizing behavior and providing data upon which to build theories. Qualitative and quantitative studies of leadership are, in my opinion, symbiotic.

Where this relates to tipping points can be seen in these two examples: In the first example Dr. Boyatzis outlines the data behind tipping points and performance and in the second, while he uses quantitative data his overall statement is on the qualitative aspects of tipping points. In both the result of the discussion is the same, the tipping point serves to either reset the emotional states or drive a different behavior.

I've had my own tipping point though due to my stubborn nature it took some hardship to get there. At one point in my early 20's I lost a job as a company I worked for downsized dramatically. At the time I thought I still had everything under control despite not being able to pay rent or adequately feed myself. Job searching was difficult as it wasn't easy finding a job that would have paid as much as the one I just left and therefore be able to cover rent. I worked two jobs, temp jobs, or wherever I could find work in order to stay afloat yet in the end I was evicted. From there it wasn't long before I lost my car as well. Being pretty much on my own and homeless I decided that I needed to make a change in my life.

My stubborn nature led me to believe that I could have made things work by sheer force of will. Life, however, had different plans. What this tipping point changed was my attitude. I very quickly learned that people can do all the right things and still come up short. Success or failure isn't always directly related to the effort put into things. Life is much more complicated than binary attitudes like "work had and you will succeed" or "if you aren't succeeding it's because you aren't trying." Such simplistic views went by the wayside and over the next decade and change I've developed a much broader sense of compassion and, at times, empathy. I joined the Air Force to get out my rut, and even then needed substantial financial assistance from my family. I was fortunate that my family had the resources to assist me in paying some old debts as well as assisting me while I was awaiting my basic training start date.

Looking back now I wish I had given up my stubborn belief system that failed to see the nuance in situations. However, had it not been so harshly confronted it is likely that I would still cling to it. In the end, we can learn as much from our failures as we do our success; if not more so. Failure forces change and when properly analyzed and reflected upon is a great teacher. Success, though to be sought after and appreciated, carries a danger of complacency. Of course, I much prefer success to failure! Still, they both have their roles in life and like most things, as I learned, that relationship can be complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment